Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Wyvern

Wyvern is a card game I found while browsing wikipedia. The reason I wanted to look into it was because I found it odd that an entire card game would be called Wyvern, unless the whole card game was played with dragons. I'm not saying a dragon-only card game would be bad, but it might not be as fun.

First off each player has two decks. One deck is made of dragon and terrain cards, and the other is made up of action and treasure cards. You start with six face-down dragon and terrain cards on the battlefield with 25 gold pieces. For each turn, a player can have limited card movement, play actions, and have a single battle. As the game goes on, each player pays to turn their dragon and terrain cards face up to use them, which cost gold pieces. The damage triangle goes dragons can kill smaller dragons, but are weak to terrain, smaller dragons can kill terrain but are weak to bigger dragons and terrain can kill bigger dragons, but is weak to smaller dragons. The game ends when one player loses all their terrain and dragons. After that game, a scoring system is usually used to reward players that use their resources efficiently. Usually these scores are added up from all the games into a match, and whoever reaches the set score cap wins.

This game seems ok, but I would want to just try it before I got into it and started buying cards. I would really like to see all the types of cards that are in this game, because it really depends on how those work and what they look like for me to see if I like it. If I can't use neat strategies to confuse and beat my opponent, I don't think the game would be as good. This game seems like the only things you could use to make plans are action cards. I believe treasure cards would probably just give you money so you can use your dragons and terrains. So I think as of now I would much rather play Magic: The Gathering or Yu-Gi-Oh, but you never know, if I ever play Wyvern it could surprise me and be extremely good.

No comments:

Post a Comment